The Information Technology Sector in Canada
The demand for talent in the IT sector in Canada has seen incredible growth over the past 15 years. The current unemployment rate for professionals in this field is the lowest in history at 1.9% (by contrast, the overall unemployment rate in Canada is over 6.5%). Some trends in the workforce include a relatively aging workforce, 11% is over the age of 55 compared with 4% in 2001. The workforce is highly educated with the majority of the workforce having at least a Bachelor’s degree or higher. Finally, the workforce is also increasingly multi-cultural with 37% born outside of Canada.
About IT Connections
Information Technology (IT) Connections helps internationally-trained IT professionals pursue their careers in Canada. Participants learn Canadian IT-sector standards, terminology, and tips on how to enhance their job search. IT Connections was designed in close collaboration with key stakeholders – employers, professional associations and an academic institution.
- Effective job search strategies: market research techniques; resume development; interview skills; and, targeting your job search to companies that require your specific skills and experience
- Orientation to Canadian Workplace Culture and the expectations of employers in the sector
- Project Management for IT Professionals (PMP exam preparation)
- Agile Introduction and Methodology
- Guest speaking panels including volunteers from Accenture (program sponsor)
- Connections with IT employers
- Referrals to Speed Mentoring® and The Mentoring Partnership™
- Post-employment communication coaching, language coaching and document editing
Industry Advisory Committee: Information Technology Connections Program
Gerardo Amaya, Consultant, KPMG
Keenan Coughlin, Director, Ceryx
Colin Low-Ring, Director, Business Development, DesTech
Michael McMurrich, Program Manager, Accenture
Rahul Shukla, Director, Business Operation, TATA
Abhishek Sinha, Consultant, Ernst & Young
Companies that have recently hired from our program:
TATA Consultant Services Inc.
vConsult Service Inc
Halogen software Inc.
Marves Technology Inc.
Amgus GEO Solutions Inc.
Intelex Technologies (intelex.com)
Our graduates have been hired into the following roles:
IT Service Director
IT Project Manager
Sr. System Analyst
Sr. IT QA
IT Project Coordinator/ Tech Lead
IT Security Analyst
Product Specialist (E-Commerce)
IT Support Specialist
IT Governance Analyst
SAP Basis/DB2 Administrator
Application System Analyst
Sr. IT Controller and Auditor
- The fee for this program is $500. This offsets a portion of the Ryerson University academic component. This program may be eligible for full reimbursement through the Ontario Bridging Participant Assistance Program.
- All books and materials are included or available on-loan to participants at no additional cost.
- All other costs related to the program and employment services are generously funded by the Government of Ontario and the Government of Canada.
Information Technology Connections is funded by the Government of Ontario and delivered in partnership with Ryerson University. The IT Connections program is sponsored by Accenture. The Project Management component of the program is generously sponsored by PMI-SOC.
To learn more about Information Technology Connections, please click here to email Robert Tortian or call 905.361.2522.